Soon after the Civil War, settlers established a community here, naming it Snap after Snap Cariker, a physician and early resident. On May 14, 1905, several members of what was known as Six Mile Church met under the leadership of the Rev. W.A. Reagan and organized the Baptist Church of Christ at Old Six Mile Church. They continued meeting in the facilities of their former congregation until making plans to build their own sanctuary in 1911. At that same time, members changed the congregational name to Cedar Grove Baptist Church of Christ, dedicating a new sanctuary in 1912 and establishing a Sunday school program. Four years later, the congregation became affiliated with the Panola County Baptist Association, and within a few more years it became known simply as Cedar Grove Baptist Church. The church later affiliated with other area associations, and preachers from nearby towns led services once a month.
The largely agricultural community of Snap supported several businesses until World War II, after which its population slowly declined. The church, however, continued to grow throughout the 20th century, eventually conducting services twice monthly and in 1951 establishing a full-time pastorate. The congregation supported numerous programs during its first century, including women's, men's and youth service and study groups, and annual vacation Bible school. Continuing to grow, the congregation also continued to build new facilities for its various programs.
More than one hundred years after its founding members first met as a congregation, Cedar Grove Baptist Church continues its work and service. Family-oriented, the church provides a focal point for the numerous residents in the area. (2005)
Cedar Grove Baptist Church, located on County Road 108 in Carthage, celebrated its 100th anniversary and Texas Historical Marker dedication on May 22, 2005. Pastor is Freddy Mason, Associate Pastor is Jeremy Roberts, and Music Director is W.A. Wedgeworth.
The special service included congregational hymns led by Aubrey Wedgeworth; welcome and remarks by Pastor Freddy Mason; special music provided by The Wedgeworth Family, The Marshall Family, and the Cedar Grove Centennial Choir; reading by Patsy Waldrop and John Pepper; recognitions by Pastor Mason; slide show presentation by Ann Morris; and closing remarks by Pastor Mason.
Afterwards, the dedication and unveiling of the historical marker took with guest speaker Marylee Knight, chairman of the Panola County Historical Commission. Deacons Jim Lovil and Aubrey Wedgeworth unveiled the marker and the text was read by Pastor Mason. Jerry Morris closed the service with prayer, and a reception followed for everyone.
Source: The Panola Watchman (Carthage, Tex.), Vol. 132, No. 41, Ed. 1 Wednesday, May 25, 2005, newspaper, May 25, 2005; Carthage, Texas. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth1255744/m1/9/: accessed October 16, 2020), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Sammy Brown Library.